Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

He's Here!!

Wow!  What a ride the past few days have been!  Stephen arrived on Friday, July 1st at 3:17am.  However, it seemed that there was a long road to get there….
Not long after my spill in the front yard, I had another appointment with my doctor.  During that appointment, he ordered a growth ultrasound, as he thought we were measuring big for being 39 weeks pregnant.  He also ordered a Non-Stress Test (NST) because of my high blood pressure.  We headed to the hospital for the NST, and everything looked good.  My blood pressure went down, and Baby Q’s heart rate was still perfect.  We then headed to the ultrasound lab.  The tech was wonderful, and we got lots of pictures of our Little One, including a few more 3D pictures.  At the end of the appointment, she informed me that Baby Q was estimated to be 9 pounds, 1 ounce!  WHAT?!?! 
We went back to the doctor’s office, and discussed our options.  After some research, discussion with the doctor, and a long heart-felt talk with Shawn, we decided that our best and safest option was to schedule a c-section.  We were scheduled to check into the hospital on July 5th at 6:30am to prep for our c-section.  And then it hit us….we had a date that Baby Q was going to join us!  WOW!!  At this appointment, the doctor also put me on modified bed rest.  We were given permission to go out to dinner that night, but until Tuesday I was ordered to stick to bed rest rules.
Shawn and I ran to the store to pick up some things I would need while on bed rest, and then went to dinner at Logan’s.  We then headed home to watch a few movies on our “last date night” before baby.  During our first movie, I got off the couch, and started to wonder if my water had broken.  However, since we’ve had a few “false alarms” and too many visits to the hospital recently, I sat in denial!  Shawn and I went back and forth over whether or not to go check on things, and after two hours, Shawn won the argument and we headed back to Labor and Delivery.
At 1:35, the nurses on duty confirmed that my water was broken.  Since we were already scheduled for a c-section the following week, they decided to go ahead with the surgery.  The next hour went by SO fast, and I don’t really remember all of the details.  I do know that I was terrified of so many things:  the spinal block, major surgery, a different doctor performing the surgery, and everything that could go wrong.  Shawn was scared, too, but did a wonderful job of trying to keep me calm. 
At 2:30, Shawn dressed in his scrubs, and I was wheeled off to surgery.  He had to stay in the hallway during the prep process, and came into the room right before the doctor began the surgery.  He was able to sit right next to me throughout the entire surgery, though it was slightly difficult for him to get around, since he’s still in his boot!  At 3:17, I heard the doctor say, “Look at that blond hair!”  Not long after that, I heard the most beautiful sound in the entire world:  my baby’s cry.  To say that “I lost it” would be an understatement.  I cried at the beauty of that sound.  Stephen was whisked off to get cleaned off and assessed, but we were able to see him.  His Apgar Scores were 7 and 9, and he was just perfect!  After giving him a quick kiss, Shawn took him to the newborn nursery while the doctor completed my surgery.
Stephen is just perfect.  He weighed 8 pounds, 8 ounces and was 20 inches long.  He has a head full of blond hair, and the most beautiful slate blue eyes I have ever seen.  He has 10 fingers and 10 toes (over-achiever….remember Mom only asked for five fingers and five toes!)  We are debating over who he looks like….I think he has my mouth, but Shawn’s nose and ears. 
I am so in love.  Stephen Belden Quinlan is just perfect!  And while he has big shoes to fill, I have all the faith in the world in this little boy.  His name is a tribute to two very special men:  Stephen is in honor of Shawn’s father, and Belden is in honor of my grandfather, who we called Poppa.  I think the name fits him perfectly, and I know that our special angels are smiling over him. 

Prepping for Surgery

Stephen Belden, Born July 1st, 3:17am

Proud Papa

See...I told you he was perfect!

Bonding while Mommy is in Recovery

Getting ready to come home!

No comments:

Post a Comment